What I'm Reading: Empire of the Summer Moon

Empire of the Summer Moon (EOTSM) retails for S$22.47 at Kinokuniya

Well hey guys!
Here's a post about the book I'm reading right now. Hehe. This is my first time blogging about books.
First and foremost, it's been awhile since I got the time to read. 2 years of JC life in Singapore zapped away all my free time (the available free time I had were spent sleeping or staring into space).

Now, if you would please, banish all perceptions you have of Native Americans.

They're most likely not what you think they are.

Enough of silly "one little, two little, three little Indian" songs. 
Enough of the idea that they are 100% peace-loving, tranquil people frolicking in the meadows. 
Enough of the idea that "Indian headdresses" are a fashion trend (they are certainly not!!). 
You're about to enter the world about the truth, and the glory, of Native Americans. 

Or, more specifically, the life of the Comanches.

EOTSM is basically a historical book depicting the rise and fall of the Comanches, a Native American tribe known for their tenacity and fierceness in warfare. You'll be given the depiction of how the heydays of the Comances were - freely riding, freely raiding, freely living in the open space, alongside their downfall- the mistreatment they received, the broken promises made on both sides, the bloodshed, the horrors and the never ending spiral of sadness. I find myself enamoured with the book's life-like depiction of the Comanches and each turn for the worst leaves me with dread and a overwhelming sense of grief, empathy and pain.

Besides this, it also includes a story about the life of the last Comanche chief, Quanah Parker. Quanah is a half-white half-native Comanche chief whose life is succinctly depicted by the author S.C.Gwynne.  Quanah's father died in battle and his white mother Cynthia Ann Parker was forcefully brought back to white society, leaving him at the mercy the other tribal members. As a kid, he was depicted to be bullied until he grew up and became taller, stronger, mightier and braver. Again, the second story is equally enthralling. Quanah managed to become a strong chief and married 8 wives(!), although he too,  was finally made to live in the "Native American reservations". 

This book also offers 8 pages of black and white photos of famous Comanches, a delight for all those who love vintage photos.

I have yet to complete reading this book but it is truly a good read. 
FYI, I am a culture lover so I like historical things very, very much. I am thankful to be offered a glimpse into the past through this book without any form of censorship - the raw brutality of what each party did is presented to you in the clearest form possible. While I did cringe reading some gory parts of the book, I have to accept that it is the truth, and sugarcoating will not work.

I highly recommend this book for anyone out there really, given that Native Americans today are still being misunderstood, stereotyped and discriminated. 

Beware though, it is not for the faint hearted.


Have you read this book? Will you read it? Comment below!

Peace~
That Whimsical Blogger!



Comments

Popular Posts